Rented storage facilities are a blessing if you are looking for options where you can safely stow away your stuff for long-term. Long-term storage of your items may be needed if you are planning to move out of your city or country temporarily for business or military deployment, studies, or if you have an extensive remodeling and revamping plan for your existing dwelling. Whatever the reason be, long-term storage of items requires special considerations to ensure their safety. Here are the three most important tips that will help you in preparing for long-term storage.
Plan The Storage
This might sound absurd, but you need to plan the entire long-term storage drill in your head before actually starting to pack your stuff. This includes some serious research about the suitable storage facilities, thinking about the pros and cons of different packing materials, chalking out the information that you will put on the labels, etc. The most laborious and time-consuming aspect of this drill is to make a list of items that you will store. Only when you have thought the entire process through in your head, you should proceed to the next tip.
Start (and Finish) Packing
Once you know which item will be going to the rented facility for long-term storage, you should start packing each. There are several points to remember in this process:
- You should thoroughly clean each item before packing. Even a little bit of dust and dirt should not be left. Use the vacuum cleaner if needed.
- Apply protective sprays to wooden furniture and leather goods.
- Use a bleach solution to disinfect the internal surfaces of equipment like the refrigerator, washing machine, and dishwasher.
- Ensure that all items are completely dry and odorless before you pack them for storage.
- Disassemble all bulky items that can be disassembled. This will not only make packing easy but also give you more space when you stack it in the storage unit.
- Never close the doors and lids of these items completely to prevent moisture build-up during storage.
- Use only new boxes for stacking the stuff because new boxes are sturdier.
- Avoid wrapping the items in plastic bags because they can retain moisture in the long run.
- Pack fragile and delicate items with special care. Use ample bubble wrap and fillers. Use corrugated sheets to separate them and stack all fragile items in one place.
- Prepare elaborate and tidy labels and paste many of them on each box to ensure visibility on all sides of the box.
Remember to keep this list safe because it will be helpful when you take the items out of the storage facility.
Choose the Right Storage Facility
The final tip on preparing long-term storage is to choose the right storage facility. There are different kinds of storage units available in the market and each has its own feature. For example, a climate-controlled unit will regulate temperature as well as humidity and may be preferable over a standard unit that doesn’t have these regulatory features. Ask the facility owner about their policies regarding long-term storage and inquire about the insurance details. You should ensure that the storage facility has a sound security system to safeguard your belongings in your absence. The overall maintenance of the facility should also be considered.
If you keep these three tips in mind while preparing for long-term storage, you will come back to find your belongings in great condition. Also, you will be able to retrieve every item without wasting time and making any additional effort.
If you’re looking for a storage facility to store your belongings for the long-term, Theatre Drive Self Storage has got you covered. Here at Theatre Drive Self Storage, we offer a wide range of unit selections and top-notch security. To learn more about our self-storage facility, please check out our website at https://theatreselfstoragepasorobles.com/.